Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Max: Arrival...and happy about it

Well, we're nearly 6 weeks in now...or are we 6 weeks in....? Is it 5?

I dunno; this is the problem with having a small child.

Max turned up on 13th January, 2010, at 1650, weighing in at 8lb 2oz.

Jo went in to be induced a couple of days prior and, as with Ellie, the prostoglandins just don't get the whole show on the road. After 2 days of trying we were mentally preparing ourselves for a c-section that afternoon, with an examination booked for 1500. So it was a bit of a surprise when Jo went into labour in a big way at about 1450. After visiting, Ellie and I were dawdling our way through Tesco buying random food items, taking our time, helping Chinese people with their children - the usual, public spirited behaviour you expect....

...and then I got the text:
Jo: "Come in now! JUst gone to 4cm in minutes" (sic)
Me: "Shit!"
Jo: "Come on!"
Me: "I am! Get on with it!"

And she did.

I dumped Ellie and the shopping at home and raced in to Wythenshawe. Needless to say, the next two hours were eventful but it couldn't have gone better. Jo finally got her epidural (so they still owe us one from the Ellie's delivery I reckon) but it didn't even have time to kick in - the test dose went in at 1625 but Max had other ideas and was out inside 20mins. Like Ellie's birth, there are some things that you're not likely to forget: the moments where Max's head was half out and we were waiting for the next contraction seemed to last a long, long time.

So, to Max. Really, he's perfect. Ellie loves him to bits and is really adapting well to having him around. Connie looks slightly miffed.

And this week, Max has started to smile a bit. You have to tickle him under his chin for a good few minutes but it's definitely a smile - almost a laugh...

No comments: